The confirmation of corona virus outbreak yesterday in Nigeria has thrown Lagosians and other Nigerians in frenzy about the next step of action to be taken. As the virus continues to be contained amidst its spread, here are things you should know about it, symptoms, preparation and preventive measures to take.
What you need to know
- The virus may be contagious but is less deadly compared to other outbreaks. However, people with underlying medical problems and smokers seem to be at a higher risk.
- The symptoms include low grade fever, fatigue, headaches, cough and less frequently diarrhea.
- To prevent this, wash your hands as viruses can spread via respiratory droplets.
- Do not touch surfaces such as door knobs, elevator buttons and surfaces. If you do, do not touch your nose, eyes or mouth or become infected.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer with 60% – 95% alcohol especially after going to the bathroom; before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and dispose properly
- Use face masks rightly and dispose properly after use
- Don’t panic, stock up your house with foodstuffs and cleaning supplies. Think about having enough on ground to last a few months.
- Get basic medications in the house like pain killers, cough medicine or other medications you take.
- Have a contingency plan if schools were to close during an outbreak and if you are unable to go to work.
- Travel smart, research countries where the outbreak has not occurred before travelling. Think about possible travel disruptions in the event of an outbreak.
Stay safe everyone, no need to panic, there’s a low chance of being infected if these guidelines are followed. Follow the precautions and educate others too.