You might feel a bit emotional when you notice your little girl is in the early stage of breast development (breast bud), or she is even demanding for a bra (because everyone in her class is wearing one) and you are wondering if it’s time to get her ‘first bra’. Well, you are not alone and this might be a good time to start a ‘bra talk’ with your daughter. Please note there isn’t a specific age when a girl needs a bra, but these situations might be the perfect time to do so:
- When the breasts start to develop
- When you notice all of her friends are wearing one
- If she is demanding for a bra
- If she feels more comfortable in bigger clothes.
- If she is concerned about her nipples protruding underneath her uniform and clothes.
- If she needs extra support for sporting activities.
That said, a girl’s first bra is a big deal so if you are shopping for one you need to get some things right. Below I share a few things you need to know when buying your daughter her first bra.
- 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭
For exact bra measurement, read this post. There are two major measurements you need to take – the band and the cup. You can do this from the comfort of your home.
- 𝐆𝐨 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐛𝐫𝐚 𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐬
If your daughter is still in the early stage of breast development, you can go for bra tops. For most girls in the early stage of breast development, their bras usually come in regular sizes S, M, L, XL and so on. Because at this point their band is most important.
- 𝐒𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐬
These bras are very supportive regardless of the size. Even if she isn’t into sports, a sports bra gives firm support to the breasts.
- T-Shirt Bras
Choose T-Shirt bras because of the coverage and support they give. They usually have light padding which is great for concealing the nipples underneath any kind of clothing.
- 𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐰𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐬
It’s fine to get wire bras in as much as the wires are enclosed with comfortable fabrics.
- Choose wire free bras. If you are concerned about underwired bras, it’s okay to opt for wire-free bras. She may not be comfortable wearing a bra with wires at the initial stage, therefore wire free bras in the right band size provide the same support as wired bras.
It would be good to choose styles together with your daughter before going shopping. Visit www.briefessentials.com should you need assistance finding the right support for your daughter.